8 Signs of alcoholic drinking behaviour
What to look out for in your behaviour towards alcohol that may indicate you have an alcohol problem
Drinking whilst alone
- Has the need to drink moved from social occasions with others to regularly drinking alone?
Drinking in the morning
- Do you need a drink to function in the morning?
- Do you make sure you have access to alcohol in the morning?
Drinking to excess
- Do you drink to the point of passing out?
- Do you drink without thinking of the consequences?
- Do you take risks in order to get your next alcohol fix?
- Are you lying about drinking, or the amount you are drinking?
- Are you hiding alcohol around the home?
- Are you hiding evidence of your drinking from others?
Missing important events
- Have you missed important events because they do not allow you to drink?
- Have you been late or missed appointments or events due to alcohol or hangovers?
- Do you use alcohol to help you deal with your physical, emotional or mental problems?
- Do you need alcohol to sleep or relax?
- Do you have alcohol cravings that affect your mood or concentration levels?
- Do you experience withdrawal symptoms when you try to stop or cut down?
- Is your drinking having a negative effect on life at home, work and social relationships?
- Has your family asked you to reduce or stop drinking?